Friday, August 5, 2011

Vacation 2k11: Newport, RI

Newport, RI

Newport was my favorite.  I could definitely live there.  Mom would make fun of me the whole trip because every place we went (with the exception of Long Island because I didn't like the traffic), I would say, "I could definitely see myself living here."

One of my favorite parts of the trip was taking the ferry from Port Jefferson to Bridgeport, CT.  You're probably like, "Perrin, really? It's just a boat."  But it was more than a boat...it was a boat you could put cars in.  So see why it was a favorite? Ok, probably not.  I loved it because there was so much excitement all around.  People traveling from NY to CT to visit people, to see baseball games, to tour landmarks.  I think that's why I have an obsession with airports too.  There's so much excitement all around you.  Little kids would lean over the side to look down at what they could find in the water and the kids next to us were writing in their "Travel Journals" about the sights around them while their grandpa gave them a lesson on what the different colored bouys meant.  Ok, enough about the ferry now. It was fun, just trust me. 
View of Port Jackson from the ferry.

love me some sailboats.





On the way we made a semi-quick stop in Mystic, CT.  We had heard a lot about it and wanted to check it out for ourselves.  It reminded me of a nautical Colonial Williamsburg.  We walked around briefly and then we all quickly realized we needed food.  Seafood that is.  We found a cute, bright turqoise seafood shack on the water and ate the best, and cheapest, seafood during our whole trip.  



See that house in the back? Yup, it's mine.





Clam Chowder, Crab Cake Sandwich, and Fried Oyster Roll!

Fried Oysters in a Roll


We finally arrived at the Harborside Inn, a.k.a. the cutest place ever, around 3 on Monday afternoon.  After unpacking and admiring our adorable room, we decided to head to one of the mansions before they closed.  We chose Rosecliff first.  Hint: If you want to see the mansions and do more than 1 of them, definitely just go ahead and get the 5 pack of tickets because they are such a better deal than the 2 pack!  Rosecliff was the mansion that scenes from The Great Gatsby and 27 Dresses were filmed.  Actually, out of all 5 we toured, my mom and I agree that Rosecliff was our favorite.    


Iced tea and fresh baked cookies available whenever you want...that's what i'm talkin' about.




View from the Room!





Looking down from my loft to my parents room.

Rosecliff Gardens.

HA! Mom covering up her exposed parts.






Back of Rosecliff!


On Cliff Walk!












After walking some of Cliff Walk, we changed and dined at The Clarke Cooke House located right on Bannister's Wharf.  It was a perfect evening with the open windows next to our table letting in a gentle breeze as we watched the people below walk by and we ate our scrumptious seafood (yes, more seafood).  Ok, I lied.  I actually hated my food this night.  I ordered an Asian Sesame Rare Seared Tuna Salad thinking that I could handle the pink color of the fish.  But I couldn't do it.  I tried multiple bites, but it was not appetizing to me at all.  Dad's lobster was delicious.  First time I had tried lobster and I give it a double thumbs up.  Mom's fresh caught Cod was also delecatable. 

calamari...yum!



More Clam Chowder!


Lobster!

Cod!

See the pink? That's why I couldn't eat it.



We walked along the harbor to see the massive sailboats and visited the shops lining it.  Once back to our cozy inn, I sat on the balcony overlooking the water and the city with a good book, a blanket, and a cup of hot tea.  Life was really good at the moment.  My favorite evening of the whole trip, hands down.





Oops, sorry about the massive overload of pictures! I can't contain myself sometimes.

Tomorrow's post: Newport, RI Part 2.  There was too much to tell about Newport, even though we were there for 24 hours, but it's my favorite so I have to share everything. 
xoxo,
erin with a p and a double r

No comments:

Post a Comment