Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Vacation 2k11: Newport, RI Part 2

Tuesday morning had a different start to it than any other morning on vacation.  I woke up with a text from a friend saying 3 trees had fallen in the front yard from a bad storm we had.  I went downstairs to tell my parents the bad news, but they already had bad news of their own to share.  My uncle had called my dad to say that my Granddad had been in the ER all night and that he was having emergency surgery that day.  My dad's reaction, of course, was to pack all of his things, book a flight to Dulles, and be with his family for my Granddad's surgery.  My mom and I hopped in the car to drive him to the Providence airport without even brushing our teeth or combing our hair.  I know, disgusting.  But he made it there with about 15 min to spare, praise Jesus!  We knew and understood that's where he needed to be.  My Granddad is doing so well now.  Recovering like a champ.  The doctors had removed a tumor from his colon about the size of a golf ball and removed 2/3 of his colon and he will start chemotherapy in a couple of weeks.  He's going to do great though!  I'm praying for you, Granddady, and love you lots! :)

So with Dad gone and Morgan at camp, it became mother/daughter bonding time.  After we got back from the airport, Mom and I quickly showered and brushed our teeth (I know you were worried whether we were going to do that or not) and headed straight for some more mansion touring.  We toured 4 mansions that afternoon and we were utterly exhausted by the time we finished the 4th.  We had lunch at the Elms, then went to the Marble House, then the Breakers, and then Chateau-sur-Mer (not my favorite, but we needed 1 more to see).  They were all breath taking!  And the stories behind each mansion were so interesting.    

Then we drove along Ocean Drive and saw all the massive mansions people actually live in and the country clubs they go to.  We were so tired after such a whirlwind of a day that we started our journey to the Berkshires in Lenox, Massachusetts.  We might've stopped and bought Auntie Anne's pretzels for dinner, but don't tell Dad that.  We arrived to a big king size bed and lots of comfy pillows and we were both completely out in a matter of minutes.  

Is this a cool tree or what?!



All these beautiful urns were everywhere!



Back of the Elms








Sorry, Mom, I had to. It's too easy!

Lunch at the Elms!


Hydrangeas lined the entry to the Marble House!


Chinese Tea House at the Marbe House!

Back of Marble House

If you look you can see the Breakers sticking up out of the trees with the red roof and lots of chimneys!


Entry to the Breakers

Front of the Breakers

View of ocean from the balcony of the Breakers

Back of the Breakers


A nice lil' man took this of us.  Here's our "family" picture on vacation!
Tomorrow's post: Lenox, MA and Lake Placid! Have a great Tuesday!!
xoxo, 
erin with a p and a double r  

No comments:

Post a Comment