Monday, December 19, 2011

Duvall family dinners

Saturday was our annual Duvall family dinner.  About 75 of us took over the Winchester Country Club and enjoyed a delicious lunch.  These dinners are so special to me.  When your granddad is the youngest of 16 and your dad has 23 first cousins and 36 second cousins, it's hard to keep up with everyone and know who everyone is.  This annual gathering was started by my great aunt, Jean who passed away about 2 years ago.  She was almost like the matriarch of our family. She had first started having these gatherings in her basement over 50 years ago and when the basement became too small for everyone we had to find other places.  When she passed away, she left a trust for these dinners in hopes that they would carry on through many generations.  


This year was very special in that we honored each of the 16 children belonging to Roy Perrin (my namesake) and Mamie Duvall in a candlelight ceremony.  I had the privilege of lighting Jean's.  There are only 2 left now, my granddad, John Wesley, being one of them.  Him and his sister, Betty, were able to visit their childhood home, Silent Mills Farm, over Thanksgiving and the owners let them tour it and have an interview in the house.  They recorded all of this and played a video of it at our dinner.  It was so interesting.  The stories they shared were fascinating.  I cherish my family and respect them so much.  When my granddad was asked in his interview, "What word would you use to describe your family?" he said, "Love. The love we have for our family is unique and incredible.  It isn't shown by words of endearment or affection, but one of us would take our own life for another in a heartbeat."  I agree with him.  I'm so proud to be a Duvall.



I have some good lookin' parents.  Dad was going for the Pee Wee Herman look.




My handsome granddad's war picture.

Roy Perrin and Mamie 
Jeanie- The one who started it all

This was a black and white photo that was tinted by hand.  My granddad and his brother were in the war at the time, so a picture is taking their place.
Uncle Mark and my dad

3 lovely ladies...including my new future Aunt!!! So excited to have you in the family Liz!





My granddad tripped and fell last week.  Not once, but a couple days later he fell again.   It's getting a little better each day.  We were pretending that he got in a fight with my grandma and that she caused the damage on his face.

Granddad and Betty lighting Roy and Mamie's candles.  



Braxton was able to light his namesake's candle.  


This one, Bobby's, and another, Dougie's, were tougher to get through because they both passed away within the year.  

Dad lighting it in HONOR OF Granddad!



I'm home now and it is SO great! Looking forward to finishing some projects I never finished this summer today and finishing some Christmas shopping!  Hope you're enjoying this wonderful season!
xoxo,
erin with a p and a double r

1 comment:

  1. Perrin, I love your family. Especially your granddad. Love you. Text me! :)

    |Jamie:) <3|

    ReplyDelete