Thursday, February 3, 2011

new years resolutions

so it's been a little over a month since 2011 kicked off and i am proud to say i have successfully completed 2 out of my 3 resolutions so far. 


my first resolution was to be in bed by midnight on week days or when i have classes the next morning and i have cut it really close some nights (such as 11:59), but have managed to check this one off the list.


another resolution of mine was to be wise about my money.  i stink at saving money.  ask anyone and they will tell you that as soon as i get some green, i'm already thinking about how i want to spend it.  in 2011 i am planning to change this.  so far i have managed to only buy things i need, and nothing i want.  i am going to start putting any money i have in my savings account and not in my spending so the temptation to spend isn't even there!  


a third resolution was to tithe my money.  this one i have struggled with a little bit more.  i've always struggled with this.  i know that the Bible says to give 10% of our earnings, but for some reason this is so difficult for me.  so i decided to see what the Bible said about this and what i found was very convicting...


Malachi 3: 6-14 is titled "Robbing God" which is very appropriate.  in verse 7 the Lord says, "Return to me, and I will return to you." and then it says, "But you ask, 'How are we to return?'"  then the Lord says in verse 8, "Will a man rob God? Yet you rob me."  How do we rob Him?  It says in verse 8, "In tithes and offerings."  Tithes and Offerings! Ahhhh!  so by me not giving a little of what I have, I am robbing the God of the Universe?!  i've robbed my own creator?  if that's what this verse is saying then sadly I have.  He has given me everything and yet I can't spare to give him anything in return.  i am so selfish.  


i'm going to be honest...whenever the thought of tithing comes into mind I ignore it because I believe that my money could be used for something better, and in all honesty, better for myself.  again, i am so selfish.  what could my money be better spent on than for advancing the kingdom of God?  no material object I could buy could do this.  


so how am i going to fix this?  i think what i have to do is remember that God is the ultimate provider and will take care of all of my needs (not wants).  God gives me and you a challenge and i know i really enjoy a good challenge.  verse 10 says, "Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house.  Test me in this, and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it."  Whoa! Not enough room for all of His blessings?  That's awesome.  Luke 6:38 says, "Give, and it will be given to you." He promises us blessings in return for our giving and although we might not see them while we're here, we can definitely look forward to seeing them when we are face-to-face with Him. Alright Lord, I'm ready to take on this challenge.  Let's make this years's resolutions 3 for 3.  ready, set, tithe!   


happy thursday :)
xoxo,
erin with a p and a double r    
     

7 comments:

  1. Wow....great resolutions and great post! Love it!! and you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think you are supposed to try to keep up a resolution for the whole year not just a month silly. the first one for example. it wouldn't be done already.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are on a good track to keep all of your resolutions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perrin im so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 2 Corinthians 9:7
    Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

    ReplyDelete
  6. only 11 more months! you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perrin you are so cute! I love this sooo much :)

    ReplyDelete